The Worst Class Trip Ever


The Worst Class Trip Ever
By: Dave Barry 


Release Date: May 5, 2015
Audience: Ages 8 and up
Pages: 224


The Story 

Twelve- year- old Wyatt is going on a class trip  to Washington D.C.  When he gets on the plane in his home town of Miami, he sits next to his best friend Matt. According to Wyatt, this is where the trouble begins. As the friends embark on their flight, two mysterious strangers sitting behind them catch Matt's eye. He tells Wyatt he thinks they are terrorists. This sets into motion a hilarious journey of the boys trying to stop the mysterious strangers from a would be attack on the capital. All while they try to juggle school.

Strengths 

I really liked that this book discusses Washington D.C. sites in just enough detail to spark some interest into these landmarks. I am hopeful it will spark enough interest to pair this book with some non-fiction read a likes.

With this, this story has so much kid appeal! It is filled with action & humor. It is perfect for reluctant readers and for my tween boys.

Weaknesses 

This book is predictable. In my mind, I picture it as a Disney or Nickelodeon TV movie.

There could have been more character development. The characters were pretty flat, and this did bother me. I also personally did not like that it bought into some of the cultural stereotypes, but I don't think these minor things will bother my library kids.

Obviously, this book won't win a Newbery, but I think my kids will be attracted to its faced paced plot and humor. It is perfect just for fun read for fans of James Patterson, Marc Barnett, or even Jeff Kinney.

More Books Like This: 

22249695

22064780

2927626


What are you reading?


-Pamela 





No comments