Blackbird Fly

Blackbird Fly 
By: Erin Entrada Kelly 



"I don't listen to anything they say, because I know that whatever they think is wrong. But you think they're right." 

The Story

Twelve-year-old Apple is Filipino. She looks different, eats different food, and has a weird name. At the start of a  new school year, Apple is just looking forward to spending time with her two best friends named Alyssa & Gretchen. Alyssa and Gretchen on the other hand are trying everything to become  popular. When a list of the ugliest girls comes out, Apple is named the third ugliest girl in school. Her friends Alyssa & Gretchen quickly drop Apple as a friend in fear of losing their popularity. Suddenly, Apple finds herself alone and without any friends. Music is her only escape. She just needs enough money to buy a guitar and she is convinced it will turn her life around. With the help of two unexpected friends, Apple finds her wings to fly & embraces who she really is.


Strengths

I haven't felt so connected to a character in a long time. The character Apple's journey was incredibly real and was described in phenomenal detail.  As a reader, I felt nervous when Apple got in trouble,  upset when she was bullied, and excited when she found her way. This is truly a special book that is all about finding out who you are and embracing it.

I also really enjoyed the diversity in this book. It is sprinkled with Filipino traditions and proverbs. I think this extra little bit made this book extra special.


Weaknesses

I was reluctant to leave Apple's world. Since the field trip to New Orleans was described so much in the book, I was a little disappointed that the book ends without following the characters on this trip. I just felt like it ended a little too abruptly. I think the book would have been stronger with an epilogue.

 Readers who enjoy realistic fiction or enjoy music may enjoy this book.

The Song 

After reading this book, I had to listen to this song. It is one of my favorites! I thought it was only appropriate to end my review with it as well.



Until Next time, 

-Pamela 


2 comments

  1. I just finished this one and I had trouble connecting with Apple at first... I was put off by how angry she seemed, but I'm really glad I kept going because I loved Evan's character and I loved the strength he gave her. And one of my favorite quotes was "I realized that's how she would always be: going where the crowd goes and then getting lost." What a great message for our kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I feel like this is a stage that so many kids have to go through in middle school. I appreciated how the characters handled it, and I really enjoyed the theme.

      I also did not catch that quote! I love that.

      Thank you for your comment,

      -Pamela

      Delete