Tween Fantasy Favorites

Can you believe it is already almost summer reading?




Thanks to all the awesome people I work with, I think I have finally gotten all of my programs worked out. Now I just need to prepare my reader's advisory.

Since we get so many new people during the summer, I try really hard to brush up and prepare reader's advisory lists to quickly help these patrons.

I am hoping it will help to provide the best service possible and to help match up reader's to the right book. It is my goal to come up with some good go-to tween lists before summer reading begins. I thought I would share this list with you in hopes it would help you too!

This week I am going to highlight some of my favorite fantasy books.

I have linked each title to Goodreads.

Here are some of my favorite high fantasy books:  

The Emerald Atlas 



I typically recommend this book to readers who enjoy the Chronicles of Narnia. It is a fast paced fantasy that pulls three orphaned siblings into another world.

The Ranger's Apprentice



This is a great action packed high fantasy that is typically good for older tweens.
It would be a good crossover book for readers on a higher reading level.

The Beyonders
  

Oh, Brandon Mull, you are my fantasy hero!
I recommend all of Brandon Mull's series to my fantasy loving tweens.
 I would also highly recommend his series other series  Fablehaven. Spirit Animals, and The Five Kingdoms.

Readers who like Brandon Mull tend to also be Eragon fans. If you find a reader who enjoys this author Christopher Paolini might be another author that they might enjoy too.

The False Prince




 My Favorite Twisted Fairy Tales: 

The Land of Stories



 




Readers who enjoy these might also like Half Upon a Time  and books by Liesl Shurtliff

Here are some with a bit of magic: 


17910570
This book is marketed like a modern day fairy tale. 
Readers who enjoy the books above might enjoy this one too.  

The Keepers Series



Janitors

Janitors #1

This one really doesn't fit into a category, but it is so much fun.

The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates

17349153


My Favorite Tween books with mythical creatures and dragons: 

Wings of Fire

Winter Turning (Wings of Fire Series #7)   

A Dragon's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Humans


Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures



7737900

I recommend this series to readers who enjoy the Warriors series. 

Marty & Grace Series

650201



Whew! I am sure I missed some.
What are your favorite tween fantasy book?

-Pamela


1 comment

  1. Ranger's Apprentice! This series is soooo popular in my library, and has been for years. Fans of this one also like the Joseph Delaney Last Apprentice series, which I enjoyed for its battles between somewhat ambiguous good and evil, even though I normally don't like books that are purported to be scary!

    ReplyDelete