Roller Girl


Roller Girl 
By: Victoria Jamiesan 


Release Date: March 10, 2015
Pages: 240
Ages: 8 and up

The Story
One night twelve-Year old Astrid and her best friend Nicole go to see the roller derby. It is the night that changes everything. That night,  Astrid decides she wants to pursue playing roller derby, and her friend Nicole decides she doesn’t. As Astrid starts to dive into learning how to play roller derby, her friend Nicole perseus dance. Can the two stay friends?

Book Trailer



My Thoughts

At first glance, I knew this book would be a great read alike for fans of Raina Telgemeier. The illustrations and the themes are very similar. The only thing I was wary of is the roller derby itself. I wasn’t sure how appealing that would be to readers and it gave me flashbacks to the movie Whip It.


Even though there is a lot of roller derby play in this book, it is broken down for readers to understand. More importantly, it is used as a tool to explore bigger themes. Some of the themes it explores is self discovery, friendship, and growing up. For tweens this book will be really appealing.

My favorite part of the book was watching how hard Astrid had to work to achieve her dream of playing roller derby. This wasn't something she picked up on instantly, but something she had to practice daily to achieve. What a great message for our tweens!

Overall, this is an one of kind graphic novel. It'll be one that I will add to my go to list for my tween girls. I can't wait to share this with them. 

The last pages of this book allotted to a series. I am keeping my fingers crossed! 

What is your favorite graphic novel? 

-Pamela  


No comments