The First Step: How One Girl Put Segregation on Trial

I meant to post this in February, but I have gotten so behind!

Can you believe it is almost spring? 

 Recently, I came across this incredible book. I  just wanted to  take a moment to highlight it.  

It is called: The First Step: How One Girl Put Segregation on Trial 

25664556

The Story 

(Provided from Goodreads)


In 1847, a young African American girl named Sarah Roberts was attending a school in Boston. Then one day she was told she could never come back. She didn't belong. The Otis School was for white children only.
Sarah deserved an equal education, and the Roberts family fought for change. They made history. Roberts v. City of Boston was the first case challenging our legal system to outlaw segregated schools. It was the first time an African American lawyer argued in a supreme court.
These first steps set in motion changes that ultimately led to equality under the law in the United States. Sarah's cause was won when people--black and white--stood together and said, No more. Now, right now, it is time for change!
With gorgeous art from award-winning illustrator E. B. Lewis, The First Step is an inspiring look at the first lawsuit to demand desegregation--long before the American Civil Rights movement, even before the Civil War.
My Reaction 

This book was well done. I was very appreciative of the story itself. I have never heard of this case before. It is perfect for younger tweens or even school age children in general. I think it would be the great starting point to start a discussion & to learn about a history that is often overlooked.
I challenge you to check it out!

For more information, please explore the links below: 

Roberts v. City of Boston

Encyclopedia- Roberts v. City of Boston


Book Pairings 







20899295


A potential movie pairing:

Disney's Zootopia 



If you need to address racial issues with your child or tween,  Disney's movie Zootopia might be a kid friendly way to address these issues. 

This weekend, I jumped at the chance to see this movie. When I saw it, I was shocked at how political this movie was. It briefly touches on police brutality issues, racial tensions, and even some racial stereotypes. This doesn't sound at all attractive on a computer screen, but the underlining theme is that we need to appreciate everyone. Diversity and what everyone brings to the table is important. This movie could be an opportunity to discuss these issues. I was really impressed with it. I might have to borrow my godkids and see it again! Have you seen it yet? 


 Why is Diversity Important? 

 Everyone has their own personal experience, and everyone's experience is important to our country and our history.  Books are an avenue to share this experiences. 

One thing I love about the United States is the diversity and how we all have different experiences. 
If we stop and listen, we can appreciate it, and work to create a better place for our kids. 

As we think about this, I do feel like I struggle to address this issue.

Besides creating displays and encouraging my tweens to read diverse literature, I am not sure how to help. What does your library do?

Do you have a go to  favorite diverse book? 

-Pamela

No comments