The Penderwicks in Spring by Jeanna Birdsall

Tweens Read Thursdays



Description from Amazon:


"Springtime is finally arriving on Gardam Street, and there are surprises in store for each member of the family. Some surprises are just wonderful, like neighbor Nick Geiger coming home from war. And some are ridiculous, like Batty’s new dog-walking business. Batty is saving up her dog-walking money for an extra-special surprise for her family, which she plans to present on her upcoming birthday. But when some unwelcome surprises make themselves known, the best-laid plans fall apart."

My awesome manager, Ms. S. is forever receiving Advance Reader Copies and Galleys and happily let me borrow a copy of "The Penderwicks in Spring." Ever since I discovered the Penderwicks series was receiving a fourth installment back in September, I have been impatiently waiting and trying to time things perfectly so I would be the first on the hold list. (I may or may not have occasionally counted the days until it was going to be released...)  

It was unutterably lovely to return to Gardam street to visit the family Penderwick once again! Ms. Birdsall has resurrected the charm of of books written in an older and simpler time and applied that charm to modern day situations. She weaves beautiful tales that feed the soul of the literature and word lover. The story's quirky humor brought me so much delight! You know a book is going to be good when it contains the following:
  • A character who plays with Star Trek: Next Generation action figures
  • A toddler princess who routinely asserts her will in English, Spanish, and French
  • A chapter titled "Doctor Who and Little Bunny Foo Foo"
What's not to love? This book made me feel giddy, but also made a mess of me. I plunged in with Batty and deeply felt her sorrows and despair. The issues Batty deals with are hard and remind me once again of the very real and unnecessarily weighty burdens tweens often take on themselves. Like Batty, I hope these kids can find release and give these burdens to arms that were intended to carry them.

Verdict?

Please, please, please go and read the Penderwicks series if you have not yet had the pleasure. You are in for a breath of fresh, spring air.


~Alyssa


No comments