The Crossover by Kwame Alexander



What is my new favorite book for reluctant boy readers? 



The Crossover!  

This book is completely done in verse. Here is some quick information: 

Age range: 9-12 years old
Pages- 240 


This book is about twin boys named Josh and Jordan. It is told from the perspective of Josh. Josh and Jordan have grown up surrounded around basketball. Their dad played professionally, & the boys have carried on his love for the game. When Jordan gets a girlfriend, things change. Josh must deal with not having his brother's full attention and he will have to face growing up. Things become even worse when his dad's health starts to decline. Can the boys handle life's crossover? 


I am not a sports lover, and I was putting off reading this book. I thought it would be another book about sports, but there is so much more to this story. It is about family and about growing up. While reading this book, I pictured a 12 year old boy raping about his life. There was a variety of poetry, and rhythm. Some of the poetry in the book was even in pictures. So! You should read this book instead of listening to it on audio book. Although, I think it would be a great read aloud in any classroom. 


On a scale 1-5, I would give this book 3 stars. 

It was great, but toward the ending of the book, I felt like the writing style went down. 

Don't let that detour you though! This book is still an excellent read. It is one that I will recommend to any sports loving reluctant boy reader. 

It is also another book you should be aware of for future awards and lists to come. :) 


No comments