Brown Girl Dreaming by Jaqueline Woodson



Who do you think will win the Newbery Award? 







I had a wonderful opportunity to participate in a Mock Newbery training at my library. For the training everyone read 6 books on the Newbery short list, and we voted on who we think would win. 

Can you guess who our pick was?  Ya, it is pretty much Jacqueline Woodson's year! 


Have you had a chance to read this book yet? 

I hope you have. Or I hope I can convince you to put it on your book pile. 


Brown Girl Dreaming  is an autobiography set in verse about Woodson's childhood. 

It is a gem that gives an explanation as to what it was like to grow up under Jim Crow laws, the Civil Rights movement, and general life in the 1960s and 1970s.  Woodson is able to give a complete picture with her experience living in both in South Carolina and New York. It helped to get a sense of how life for African Americans were different. 

To me, this book was refreshing! Even though the book was in verse, the characters were rich & I found the historical context fascinating. 

My only complaint, is that I don't think it has much kid appeal. I think it is an important topic to discuss, but I don't think this is something that I could sell to a tween. 

Sadly, kid appeal is not a factor in the Newbery decision. 

I do think, however, that many adults will enjoy this novel. 

I am torn on who I think the new Newbery will be. I loved this book, but I also found The Night Gardner to be wonderful too. 

I can't wait to see who will win! 

Be sure to tune in ALA Youth Media Awards

On February 2nd at 8 am, the award winners will be announced. 

No comments