Multicultural Resources


I recently took a multicultural class, and I was blown away 
by how much I was not aware of. I realized that most libraries 
only offer a small marginal collection of books for multicultural 
patrons in our community. 


This class has changed me, and it has opened up my eyes to how 
much we need diversity in the library. 

One of the many thing that I have found useful is links to diverse resources. Before this class, I didn't know where to go to gain insight on diverse literature. 

Here is a list that I complied from various sources : 
*Please note that this is a working list* 

Amelia Bloomer List
American Book Award
American Indians in Children's Literature
Arab American Book Award
Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature
Batchelder Award
Bookdragon
The Brown Book Shelf
Carter G. Woodson Book Award
The Coretta Scott King Book Awards
Coretta Scott King Blog
Disability in Kidlit
Dolly Gray Award for Children's Literature
Ezra Jack Keats Award
Horace Mann Upstanders Book Award
International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) Honour List
International Children's Digital Library
The Jane Addams Children's Book Awards
Lambda Literary Awards
Middle East Book Awards
Moon Beam Awards
NAACP Image Award
National Jewish Book Awards
New Voices Award
Notable Books for a Global Society
Pura Belpre Award
The Rainbow List
Reading Around the World Award
Resources and Kid Lit About American Indians
Rich in Color
The Schneider Family Book Award
Scholastic Asian Book Award
Skipping Stones Honor Award
South Asian Book Award
Stonewall Award
Sydney Taylor Book Award
Tomás Rivera Book Award Winners
Vamos a Leer
We Need Diverse Books
10 Quick Ways to Analyze Children's Literature


  • Did I miss any? 
I am planning on adding this list to my reader's advisory. I am hoping to check these sources often to stay up to date on what is new. 
Will you join me? 
-Pamela

No comments