Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


Red Queen
By Victoria Avyard

red-queen

Series: Red Queen (Book 1)
Age: 14 and up
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen (February 10, 2015)


Book Summary

 From the Library School Journal
Gr 9 Up—Seventeen-year-old Mare Barrow lives in a world where one's lot in life is determined by the color of one's blood. She was born a Red and has to make a living by pickpocketing and trying to dodge "the conscription" and being sent off to fight an ongoing war. Mare's resigned herself to the fact that she'll always serve the Silver, a genetically gifted group of people with supernatural abilities. A chance encounter with the prince causes Mare to suddenly find herself at the royal palace as a servant, where she discovers in front of everyone that she also has a unique gift. She is Red and Silver, and could be just the spark the Reds need to rise up against the oppressive Silvers. The king and queen quickly cover up Mare's anomaly by presenting her to the rest of the Silvers as a long-lost princess and betroth her to their second-born son. Now Mare is torn between playing the part of a Silver, and helping out the Scarlet Guard rebellion. 


Review

I have not been this excited for a dystopian book since the Hunger Games. It is very plot driven book, but it isn't as violently graphic as An Ember in Ashes.  One thing I think I like most is that  it reminded me of Hunger Games series. For instance Mara kind of becomes the spark for the revolution like Katiness, but unlike Katiness, Mara has super powers. I like to think of  Red Queen as a Hunger Games on steroids.  It is perfect book if you are in a Hunger Games book hangover. So I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a read alike for this book. I feel like it is among the same appropriateness.

I don't want to give too much of the story away, but I challenge you to read this book. I think it will become a the newest YA book to sweep in & take the spotlight.

 I also just found out this is becoming a movie. I can't tell you how excited I am about this. The author is a screen writer so you just know it will be amazing!




Have you read  Red Queen? What did you think of it?

- Pamela

1 comment

  1. Ok, ok-I'll move this one up in my TBR pile and read it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete