Can You Survive? : A LARP Twist on Oregon Trail for Teens and Tweens

Last week you might have seen my post about using gaming to help transition tweens to teen services. If you haven't seen it, here is a link: https://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2019/02/play-it-big-helping-tweens-transition-to-teen-services-with-board-games/

Gaming is vital to youth development.

Another important developmental need in the realm of gaming is LARP (Live Action Role Play) programming.

Programs such as this allow teens and tweens to try out different roles and personalities that help them to form their own identity. These programs can be quite extensive though. As a result, I usually only offer one a year.

In 2018, I offered a LARP on Mars program for teens and tweens.

Last November, I was tasked to come up with a LARP program that would tie into our Big Read. Our book was Station 11 by Emily St. John Mandel.

After a quick brainstorm with my manager, we decided to do a live-action Oregon Trail game with an Apocalyptic twist.

The game could be played without the knowledge of the book, but with a survival element, it got the attention we were hoping for.

The program was an instant hit, and because it had an Oregon Trail tie, it was a tremendous success as an inter-generational program. It is one we know we could reuse for multiple age groups.

Sound good? How about if I added that his program was completely free!

It only required us to make colored copies and laminate construction paper. Laminate twelve 12 x 18 pieces of construction paper to act as the game spaces and print out the directions below for a ready to use program.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. If you use the plans, leave a comment and let me know how it goes!


Until next time,


-Pamela

Staff Directions and Calamity Cards 



Signs, Supply cards, and Money Printable 




Directions for Players 
Each team received the packet below and money in a large manila envelope that had a laminated picture of a covered wagon on it. If the team had time, they could decorate their wagon. 

2 comments

  1. I would love to try this out at my library over the summer! However, I cannot seem to open up the files to read/print the instructions and game pieces? If it would be possible to change that it would be much appreciated : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! So sorry about that. I will try to get that fixed ASAP. If you would send me an email to pamelagroseclose90@gmail.com I can send them to you as attachment! -Pamela

      Delete