What is a Tween?


When I talk about tweens, more then anything I am met with a furrowed brow.

Who and what are Tweens? 

Tweens are kids ages 8-12. They are called Tweens because they are in between childhood and adolescence. It is also often referred to as the "preteen stage"

This group is often overlooked in both libraries and  schools. Things like this are often posted:


We also have books telling us how terrible these years are.
Front Cover
In addition we also have books like : Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dork Diaries, and Origami Yoda.

As librarian and teachers, we are well versed in these titles.


We all know why these titles have come about.

Middle school, puberty, and all those hormones occurs during this dreaded time.


If you are like me, you may have this reaction:



It was a difficult time for me, and I wish I had more support.

So why isn't there more of a support for this group?

More then anything, I believe this group needs our help and support.

During this time, it is common for  suicide rates to rise, as math & reading scores to fall.

I feel like libraries could do more to help!

I am disappointed to see that there are not tween librarians.  Often the tweens are given to young adult librarians, or overlooked all together.

I would like to see a movement of tween librarian positions opening up. Support needs to be given to this group.


What is your library doing for tweens? Would your library benefit from having a tween librarian?


No comments